Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I Don't Eat Babies' (Afterbirth)

Within hours of my last post reporting Tom Cruise's stated intention to eat Katie Holmes' placenta right after the birth little Suri came into the world. Already Tom appears to have retracted his statement in a further interview on television. For the time being no more interviews are being given.

The more I see of this pair and the more obvious it becomes that they are at the giggly love struck teenager stage in their relationship. Any idea they dream up is treated as a 'wow, awesome' and it is pointless trying to glean some factual sense out of it. The incident does, of course, tell us much about the relationship and I am afraid it is not good news. I had a brief look at some images of the 2 of them which confirmed their body language. Katie was in the 'hopelessly in love' position and Tom in the 'I own you' position of power. As I said yesterday, it is not normal for the man to be the one eating the placenta as he is not the one compromised physically by giving birth. So the point of Tom's statement was to make a power assertion about Katie. Who, in truth, owns the placenta? Katie. So why was she not the one saying who was going to eat her placenta?

I would be the last one to predict how a relationship will turn out but I have no problem commenting on how it is now. This one has all the passion of a high school infatuation but no sign of real growth for a lasting future. Power is the keyword in my version of psychotherapy and it is crawling all over this one. The person claiming the one up position, Tom, can only lose ground as the sub dominant one, Katie, begins to play gatekeeper. Tom's known response to frustration is to lash out and from then on he is on the retreat. He has no other strategy. If this couple were in therapy the main issue would be about control. Sad to say, this incident is not so much about eating a placenta as eating your words, Tom.

Pierre
 Posted by Picasa

No comments: