Sunday, August 20, 2006

And More

Results: The ping updated the stats. Looks very likely, therefore, that you have to post to get the server to whirr into action.

This site now shows 2 links from 1 blog so it does not matter how many times you link to the same item in a post it is only credited as one link. However, each new post will credit another link if it is made in the post.

The link to the title which was itself a link to Technorati did, indeed, take me to Technorati. Conclusion, be careful about using the title to link to a source as this prevents others from linking to you by item. I have a bit of a problem with this one because many of these links are so long they go off the end of the allocated page and upset the layout. I had started using the link to embed the source without having to display it. I suppose the answer is to make a link to the friendly part of the URL.

Next issue is what effect does linking have on ranking. Before I conducted these experiments I had 2 blogs. The first was in msn myspace which became Windows Live. This had a handful of posts in it the last of which explained that I had started a new blog on Blogger and gave the URL for that. I then continued posting on Blogger. Both were claimed on Technorati and pinged. Although I lost touch for a while whilst having heart surgery the ranking situation was, in ratio at least, always in favour of the Windows Live site. The difference is huge, around a third or half a million. Yesterday, when I managed to update the Windows Live ping (by posting) the Windows Live site demoted itself to 1,424,556 whilst the Blogger site (this one) promoted itself to 1,011,387. The essential difference appears to be just one link from the Windows Live site to this one. The next stage in the experiment, therefore, is to see if I can restore the Windows Live site to its former glory simply by linking to it (and possibly posting a little post on it) to make the servers notice its sweet little contribution to bloggery.

Pierre

Tags:

No comments: