Saturday, August 19, 2006

A British Icon

This blog officially supports The Shipping Forcast as a British icon (See link in Title). I was amazed to find that it has not yet been nominated and so I have nominated it myself. Obviously it will not be number one but, nevertheless, many of us have it chiselled into our identities. I have spent years and years driving late at night and often been cheered along by "Sailing Home" and the Shipping Forcast. It has also been the prelude to some stunning contributions to the World Service from the BBC which follows the closing of Radio 4 after the Shipping Forcast. I remember once someone chose it as a Desert Island Disc also and I can understand why. To those of you outside our shores this must seem to be totally barmy British eccentricity but to those of us who were brought up on Latin, Empire, Shakespere, canings and cricket it is the essense of life itself.


I will not try to explain further. You either get it or you don't!

Pierre

Tags:

PS: What a shame they made the site specifically English which excludes many cultural items from Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. I hope my nomination, which clearly relates to the whole of the British Isles, is not, thereby, refused.

No comments: